Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Yay for Chocolate Pudding!

One thing I have missed going dairy-free is pudding. As a kid growing up I would savor every bite then lick the bowl! It was one of the first foods I learned to "cook". My husband's not a big fan so he doesn't miss it, but I work as a grocery checker and I see all the good stuff going through the check-out line.

So today, with Thanksgiving approaching, I was surfing the web for a recipe for dairy-free pumpkin pie and came across a simple recipe for chocolate pudding! Oh my heart fluttered and I could hardly wait to try it out.

Ingredients: 2/3 cup dairy-free semi-sweet chocolate chips
                  1 Tbsp water
                  1/2 tsp vanilla
                  dash of salt
                  12.3 oz package of firm silken tofu

Combine water and chocolate chips in a double boiler and stir until smooth, remove from heat and stir in vanilla and salt.

Drain the tofu and puree in a blender until smooth. Add melted chocolate mixture and blend again until smooth. Refrigerate at least an hour, (I hear the longer you wait the better the flavor. Me, I just thought it was great straight from the blender.) You can pipe into ramekins for a fancier dessert.

I plan on serving it later with some ginger spice cookie crumbs sprinkled on top.

Honestly it was really good and I don't like tofu. I also came across recipes for dairy-free whipped topping using silken tofu. I haven't decided which one to try but I'll let you know how it turns out.

No comments:

Post a Comment